Thoughtful in Selah

Saturday, February 9, 2008

How Big is Your Box?

Ever since Thursday, I've been feeling much better and on a higher spiritual level and more encouraged. I guess the thing that I needed to say was the thing that I needed to hear.

I was talking to a friend about her art class and she said something along the lines of this:
"I'm not good at abstract sculpting because I can't see an abstract object in my head and recreate it. Making something nonexistent real is impossible to do. It's like trying to the of a new color that doesn't exist. That's why I can't wait to get to heaven where there will be so many more colors that we've never seen before."

I've been kind of thinking about this and how logic like this doesn't fit in our box. But that's ok because we can't put God in a box either.

Along this same subject, I was thinking today about living eternally. Now we've all heard it several times but have we ever really meditated on it? Think about it. How old are you right now? What do you plan to do with your life in the next five years? What kinds of things will you do that will cause ripple effects into the ten years after that? How old will you be thirty years from now? Won't your life basically be over by then?
In heaven there will be no sense of time. We won't be thinking about these questions because we won't be worried about our lives for one, but two is that we won't base our actions off of how much time we have with the rest of our lives.


Take a minute right now and just picture yourself living FOREVER. I'm serious - do it. I can almost guarantee that you will get a sense of confusion.


So then another question arises. Is the Earth a one time thing? I mean after the rapture and everything calms down and God creates a perfect Earth for us to live on again, will somebody eat an apple and the whole thing go again? That would be crazy. Now I know this actually won't happen because then we wouldn't live for an eternity. But I thought I would just throw that in there to make you think.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

One day a man asked God how long one million years is to Him. God answered it is like one second. The man then asked how much one million dollars is like to Him. God said that one million dollars is like a penny. After a moment the man asked, "God, can you spare a penny?" God answered, "Yeah, hold on one second."

~TiS

Labels:

posted by Thoughtful in Selah at 5:45 PM

3 Comments:

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

Feb 10, 2008, 2:09:00 PM  

Great post the last part made me laugh and think at the same time. I really never thought of it that way before. Again great post.

Feb 10, 2008, 10:47:00 PM  

You're right. Eternity is fairly long, in simple terms. I'm not sure I'd want to live for an eternity either way, nor would I want my mind to be changed in such a way that I would lose my humanity, for that would be the same as losing conciousness forever.

I prefer not to take the nihlistic view, and do not think that no life after the current would be bad.

"So far as I am concerned I am immortal; that is to say, I can't recollect when I did not exist, and there will never be a time when I will remember that I do not exist." -- Robert G. Ingersoll.

I suppose this quote may offend some (I sincerely apologize if it does, I'm merely trying to state my opinion) but I suppose it puts me at ease in thinking that true eternal rest would not be bad. In fact, that's impossible.

Take it easy. :]

Feb 20, 2008, 11:04:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home